For every year except one, more vendors, industry, panelists and, most importantly, attendees are excited to come to Anime Boston. To handle this growth, we moved from our humble beginnings at the Boston Park Plaza to our current home at the Hynes Convention Center and Sheraton Boston hotel.
This year is no exception. After reviewing our pre-registration numbers and after much discussion among the Anime Boston executive team, we've decided to cap our weekend-only memberships this year. We highly recommend pre-registering as we may reach the cap during at-con registration; we would hate to turn you away at the door because we're sold out.
This cap does not apply to the Sunday-only Membership sold at the convention.
To keep you informed, we will be sending out updates on how many available memberships are left on our webpage and via our social media channels on a daily basis. Please follow us on Twitter, Facebook, or Tumblr for our latest updates.
- I pre-registered for a Weekend Membership already. Will I be able to get in?
- Will I not be able to buy a Weekend Membership at the doors?
- How do I know how many Weekend Memberships are available?
- How can I get in if you are sold out of Weekend Memberships?
- Why are you capping Weekend Memberships?
- Are Sunday Memberships capped?
- Why are Sunday Memberships not capped?
- Can I transfer a Weekend Membership from someone who can no longer attend?
- Will you move Anime Boston to a larger capacity venue, like the BCEC?
- Other events held at the Hynes Convention Center have 100,000 in attendance. What gives?
- Can I purchase more than one badge?
1. I pre-registered for a Weekend Membership already. Will I be able to get in?
Yes, as a pre-registered member you are counted in the max number and can get your badge at anytime during open Registration hours.
2. Will I not be able to buy a Weekend Membership at the doors?
Weekend Memberships will be available for sale at the doors as long as we have not hit our cap number.
3. How do I know how many Weekend Memberships are still available?
The most recent tally of available Weekend Memberships will be listed at the top of each page on the Anime Boston website, beneath the banner image. We will also post updates on on Twitter, Facebook, or Tumblr.
4. How can I get in if you are sold out of Weekend Memberships?
If we are sold out of Weekend Memberships, you may still purchase a Sunday Membership. Sunday Memberships are available for purchase only on Sunday.
5. Why are you capping Weekend Memberships?
The Hynes Convention Center and Sheraton Hotel have a Maximum Capacity of occupants, set by the Massachusetts Fire Marshall. Exceeding the maximum occpancy would not only be extremely dangerous for everyone, but also illegal. We have chosen to enact this cap on our own to prevent the Fire Marshall from having to do it at the convention.
6. Are Sunday only memberships capped?
Sunday only memberships are not capped and do not count towards the cap.
7. Why are Sunday Memberships not capped?
Traditionally Sunday has a much lower occupancy compared to Friday or Saturday. We do not run the risk of hitting the Maximum Capacity.
8. Can I transfer a Weekend Membership from someone who can no longer attend?
No. Registration is a commitment that you plan to attend the convention. This means the name you register with must match the name on your ID, and you are not allowed to change it in your registration (with obvious exceptions such as getting married between registration and the convention).
9. Will you move Anime Boston to a larger capacity venue, like the BCEC?
Anime Boston is currently contracted to remain at the Hynes Convention Center and Sheraton Boston hotel through 2025. We have no plans to change venues prior to that.
Any possible new venues would have to be a good match for our convention, and Maximum Capacity is only one concern. There are other criteria to consider, such as room sizes and layout, accessible hotels, restaurant availability, and more.
10. Other events held at the Hynes Convention Center have 100,000 in attendance. What gives?
Some other events that are held at the Hynes Convention Center do advertise they have 100,000 attendees. But the number presented isn't the whole story.
Typically anime conventions count their attendance according to the number of badges sold (a "warm body" count). You count as 1 attendee whether you buy a Weekend Membership or a Sunday Membership.
But different industry conventions usually count their numbers in turnstile manner. They tally the total attendees for each day separately, then add them all together. So if you had a Weekend Membership, you would count 1 each for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for a total of 3 attendees. A Sunday Membership would still count as only 1 attendee.
There's no right or wrong way to do it; the difference is just industry standards. However, we do give a turnstile attendance report in addition to our regular warm body count. When you look at our recent Convention History stats, the turnstile numbers are closer to the numbers that other conventions may publish.
11. Can I purchase more than one badge?
No, in light of the attendance cap, members may only purchase one badge per person.
Registrations are non-refundable, non-replaceable, and non-transferable. See our Registration Policies for details. Pre-registrants will receive their badges at the convention. Bring a photo ID (driver's license, passport, school ID, etc.) to the convention when you pick up your badge. Hotel accommodations are not included with registration - contact the hotel directly to reserve a room.