Anime Boston Volunteer Program
Volunteers Applications for Anime Boston 2018 will be available in the upcoming months. Please check back later for updates.
Anime Boston volunteers are made up of members who want to help out with running Anime Boston but without the same level of commitment as a full Staff Member. Volunteers typically work for only a couple hours per shift. But they do have the possibility of getting their Convention Membership comped for their hard work and effort.
What Do Volunteers Do?
Volunteers function as a support to the staff members. Here are some of the duties volunteers are responsible for:
- Badge entry check and clearance.
- Convention materials assembly.
- Specific panel, exhibit, and event assistance.
- Various inter-departmental delivery duties.
- Any and all tasks requiring extra hands to ensure that the convention is running smoothly.
Here are the different types of volunteer positions you can qualify for:
- You must be 18+ at the time of the convention.
- You must have pre-registered for Anime Boston.
- You must pick your Convention Membership up at Registration before checking in at the Volunteer Headquarters.
- You must complete at least 16 hours of volunteering to qualify for reimbursement. Refunds will be sent to the mailing address you provided when you signed up for volunteering.
- You are entitled to food and beverages at the Volunteer Headquarters during the entire duration of the convention.
- Minors at the age of 15-17 can volunteer as a Minor-All-Con Volunteer. All of the rules for All-Con volunteers still apply to minor volunteers as well as a few additional rules.
- You are a considered a Minor Volunteer if you are 15-17 years of age at the time of the convention. Due to Massachusetts child labor laws, we cannot accept applicants under the age of 15.
- When minor volunteers check in, they must have a parent or legal guardian present to sign a volunteer waiver. This must be signed at the time of check-in.
- Minor volunteers can only volunteer for a maximum of 8 hours a day.
- Minimum hour requirements for reimbursement still apply.
How to Volunteer for Anime Boston
- Sign up as a volunteer through our online Volunteer Application or at the convention at the ABVP Headquarters (VHQ).
- You must have a valid mailing address to receive Convention Membership reimbursements.
- Volunteers who are 15-17 years of age at the time of the convention must sign up as a minor.
- If you apply online and your application is accepted, you will receive a confirmation email from the ABVP Manager. You are not officially accepted into the current year's Volunteer Program until you receive this e-mail.
- When you arrive at the convention, and after you pick up your Anime Boston Convention Membership, go straight to ABVP Headquarters.
- All volunteers must have a valid photo ID to pick up their pre-registered Convention Membership. They must also carry their membership badge at all times.
- You will be given instructions and supplies as needed to carry out your duties.
- After you have finished your assigned shift, immediately return to ABVP Headquarters (VHQ) and check back in. A member of the ABVP staff will record that you have completed your shift. You can then take a break or take a new assignment.
Other Things a Volunteer Should Know
ABVP Headquarters (VHQ) is where all volunteer operations are managed. This will be your home base as a volunteer. This is where all our meetings are held, where volunteers check in and out for shifts, eat, and relax.
A volunteer shift can range from 15 minutes to 2 hours. 2 hours is the maximum length of time that any shift will last. Workload is paced to allow you to rest, eat, and hydrate.
- All meetings are mandatory and are held in ABVP Headquarters.
- There are two orientation meetings held for volunteers. You must attend one of the orientation meetings on either Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 7PM or Friday, March 31, 2017 at 9AM.. If you can't make either of these meetings, please let ABVP Staff know and we will brief you on what the meeting covered.
- There are also impromptu meetings. The exact times of these are last minute and are announced and posted in ABVP Headquarters during the convention. Please keep your ears and eyes open for such meeting announcements while volunteering.
Gifts and Prizes:
- Every 4 hours you volunteer you get a gift (4, 8, 12, 16, and the 20-hour mark).
- Volunteers who go above and beyond the call of duty will receive special prizes from ABVP staff.
Check back often to stay updated on the latest news and announcements for Anime Boston Volunteers.
Also check out the Anime Boston Volunteer Program Facebook Group.
If you have any questions, please contact the ABVP Manager.