Anime Boston Volunteer Program FAQ
These are Frequently Asked Questions regarding our Anime Boston Volunteer Program (ABVP). Please review them and if your question still isn't answered, feel free to ask on our forums.
- What does ABVP stand for?
- Do I need to pre-register before signing up as a volunteer?
- How will I get my reimbursement?
- Do I have to pay to become a volunteer?
- Do we get food or beverages?
- What if I didn't sign up online or I missed the application deadline? How can I sign up then?
- I want to volunteer at Anime Boston but will I miss all of the stuff I want to see and do?
- What's the difference between volunteering and staffing?
- Do volunteers get to skip the registration line at the convention?
- Can I still cosplay while volunteering?
- Does volunteering at Anime Boston get me community service credit for my school or organization?
- I applied but I haven't received a response. Does that mean I'm not accepted?
- Can we apply as a group for the Anime Boston Volunteer Program?
1. What does ABVP stand for?
ABVP stands for "Anime Boston Volunteer Program", which was changed from the more generic "Anime Boston Volunteers" or informally "VHQ" in 2010. Once the group grew beyond a simple volunteers department, we knew that a name change was appropriate to match its new culture and core values.
2. Do I need to pre-register before signing up as a volunteer?
You need to pre-register if you're planning to sign up as a volunteer. You need to have a Convention Membership to be in the convention outside of your volunteering duties.
3. How will I get my reimbursement?
Should you meet the minimum requirements, your reimbursement will come in the form of a check in the mail. These will be mailed anywhere from 1-3 months after the convention, but could take longer.
Absolutely not. Volunteering requires no payment to become a volunteer and that will never change.
5. Do we get food or beverages?
There will be breakfast/donuts, lunch, and dinner as well as beverages catered to all volunteers Friday to Sunday (breakfast only on Sunday).
6. What if I didn't sign up online or I missed the application deadline? How can I sign up then?
Contact the Volunteers Manager"> and come to the ABVP Headquarters to see if we can fit you in. Since we are always busy, depending on the day and time, we should be able to find space for you; however, the Volunteers Manager offers no guarantees that we will need more volunteers.
7. I want to volunteer at Anime Boston but will I miss all of the stuff I want to see and do?
Our priority is to make sure you have fun at Anime Boston even while you are a volunteer. You should not have to miss out on any event you want to go to. The ABVP staff will not make you miss out on anything due to volunteer work. That being said, there are minimum hours of volunteering you must meet to qualify for reimbursements and prizes. It is up to you to make sure you meet your required minimum hours of volunteer work.
8. What's the difference between volunteering and staffing?
There is a large difference between the expectations of full staff members and volunteers.
Staff members must put in more hours of work during the convention, 24 hours at the very minimum. The work itself is also harder and more demanding. Staff have a higher accountability and responsibility to the convention and its members.
Volunteers function as a support to the staff members. They often assist with smaller tasks such as line control, handing out materials, and making deliveries between convention departments.
9. Do volunteers get to skip the registration line at the convention?
It depends. Volunteers are brought to the front of the registration line only if there's an immediate need for volunteer help. In such a case, volunteer(s) are escorted to the front of the Registration line where they can pick up or pay for their badge. They are then escorted to ABVP Headquarters where they will check-in and, after a brief orientation, immediately begin their first shift.
10. Can I still cosplay while volunteering?
You may cosplay while volunteering only if it doesn't impede you from wearing the volunteers vest and performing your duties. However, while you are on duty, you are a representative of Anime Boston and need to have a professional appearance.
11. Does volunteering at Anime Boston get me community service credit for my school or organization?
As long as your school or organization is well-informed about what Anime Boston is all about, what the volunteering will involve, and has accepted Anime Boston as a credible community service option, you can do volunteer work at the convention and receive credit. Simply sign up, get accepted into the volunteering roster, and complete the work. The Volunteer Manager will then sign off on your paperwork.
12. I applied but I haven't received a response. Does that mean I'm not accepted?
Applications for volunteer positions are reviewed and responded to in bulk once the application period has closed. You will not receive a response before we review all the applications.
Every application is carefully reviewed and considered to ensure they qualify. Those accepted will receive an email confirmation.
Please keep in mind that there are many volunteer applications and a limited number of positions. Positions are filled on a first-come, first-served basis for qualified individuals.
13. Can we apply as a group for the Anime Boston Volunteer Program?
Please contact the Volunteers Manager directly with the details regarding your group.