These are Frequently Asked Questions regarding Volunteering for Anime Boston. Please review them and if your question still isn't answered, feel free to ask on our forums.
- Do I need to have a badge in order to volunteer?
- Do I need to pre-register before signing up as a volunteer?
- How will I get my reimbursement?
- Do I have to pay to become a volunteer?
- Do we get food?
- What if I didn't sign up online or I missed the application deadline? How can I sign up then?
- Will I miss out on the convention if I volunteer for Anime Boston?
- Do I need to volunteer all three days of the convention?
- What's the difference between volunteering and staffing?
- Do volunteers get to skip the registration line at the convention?
- Can I still cosplay while volunteering?
- Does volunteering at Anime Boston get me community service credit for my school or organization?
- I applied but I haven't received a response. Does that mean I'm not accepted?
- Can we apply as a group to volunteer at Anime Boston?
1. Do I need to have a badge in order to volunteer?
Yes, you must have a convention membership to be in the convention outside of your volunteering duties (that includes making your way to Volunteers HQ!).
2. Do I need to pre-register before signing up as a volunteer?
In most cases, yes. If you plan to sign up to volunteer before the convention, you must be pre-registered. This makes it easier to get your schedule and get to orientation.
3. How will I get my reimbursement?
If you meet the minimum requirements (sixteen hours of volunteering), your reimbursement will come in the form of a check in the mail. These are typically mailed between one and three months after the convention.
4. Do I have to pay to become a volunteer?
Volunteering requires no additional payment beyond your convention membership.
5. Do we get food?
We provide volunteers with meal cards for every four hours volunteered.
6. What if I didn't sign up online or I missed the application deadline? How can I sign up then?
Contact the Volunteers Manager and/or come to Volunteers HQ to see if we can fit you in. We will do our best to add you to the schedule. However, depending on convention needs and volunteer turnout, there may not be shifts available.
7. Will I miss out on the convention if I volunteer for Anime Boston?
We want you to have fun at Anime Boston even while you are a volunteer. You shouldn’t have to miss out on any event you want to attend, that’s why we’ve made it possible for volunteers to manage their shift preferences in the Volunteer Portal. Just let us know when you’re free and we’ll give you a schedule that works with you!
8. Do I need to volunteer all three days of the convention?
No; you can volunteer as much or as little of your time as you like!
9. What's the difference between volunteering and staffing?
There is a large difference between the expectations of full staff members and that of volunteers. Staff members must put in a significant amount of work during the convention, 24 hours at the minimum, and many staff members put in a great deal of work before the convention weekend even begins. Staff members have a great responsibility to the convention and its members. Volunteers function as a support to staff members. They are the helping hands when it comes to tasks such as line control, handing out materials, assisting with tech, making deliveries between convention departments, and so on. Volunteers help the convention run smoothly!
10. Do volunteers get to skip the registration line at the convention?
No. Volunteers are responsible for picking up their membership badges and arriving at VHQ on time for their shifts. If you have pre-registered, you can avoid a time crunch by picking up your badge during registration hours on the Thursday before the convention.
11. Can I still cosplay while volunteering?
You may cosplay while volunteering as long as it doesn't prevent you from properly wearing and displaying the volunteer vest and performing your duties. While you are on duty, you are a representative of Anime Boston and must conduct yourself professionally.
12. Does volunteering at Anime Boston get me community service credit for my school or organization?
As long as your school or organization is well-informed about what Anime Boston is all about, what the volunteering will involve, and has accepted Anime Boston as a credible community service option, you can do volunteer work at the convention and receive community service credit. Simply sign up, get accepted into the volunteering roster, and complete the work. The Volunteers Manager will then sign off on your paperwork.
13. I applied but I haven't received a response. Does that mean I'm not accepted?
Applications for volunteer positions are reviewed and responded to in bulk once the application period has closed. You will not receive a response before we review all the applications. Every application is carefully reviewed and considered to ensure qualifications. Those accepted will receive a welcome email. Please keep in mind that there are many volunteer applications and a limited number of positions. Qualified volunteers are accepted on a first come, first served basis.
14. Can we apply as a group to volunteer at Anime Boston?
Please contact the Volunteers Manager directly with the details regarding your group.